Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pinching Pennies - Homemade Stock

ChickStock by Juan-Calderon, on Flickr

Creative Commons Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.0 Generic License   by  Juan-Calderon 

Happy Thursday my thrifty friends.  To further our dollars at the grocery store, I make my own stock rather than buying it (I do purchase it in a pinch but prefer to make my own).  Remember the turkey I cooked up last week... well, I saved all the broth and the carcass to make a lovely stock for turkey soup that we will be having this week.

Stock is amazingly easy to make.  I keep a container in my freezer and pop in all of my scrap veggie ends, onion peels, garlic, etc. and when the container is full I make up some stock.  What I love about the stock making process is that it is incredibly flexible and is practically foolproof (unless you use too many parsnips in which case your broth may have a bit of a kick to it). You can store stock in the refrigerator for up to a week or you can freeze it for 3 - 6 months.  Freeze in mason jars, Ziplock freezer bags, ice cube trays, or greased muffin tins and then pop out the broth and put into a freezer bag once it is frozen.  Check out these great links for step by step instructions:


Preparing Vegetable Stock by LollyKnit, on Flickr

Creative Commons Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 2.0 Generic License   by  LollyKnit 

Vegetable Stock
Version 1
Version 2

Chicken Stock
Ina Garten's version
*Note: I always keep the meat rather than discarding it....  Just remove the chicken after 1 hour of cooking and let it cool enough before you take the meat off.  Add bones, carcass and any parts you do not want to eat back to your stock mixture.
Version 2  using chicken carcass.
* Note - I usually keep carcasses in my freezer until I have a three or four and then I make my broth.
Version 3  uses the crock pot.

Beef Stock
Version 1


Enjoy the tasty satisfaction of making your own rich stock at home!

Happy Cooking!!!
 - Dawna -

No comments:

Post a Comment