Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pinching Pennies - Homemade Jam

It's Thrifty Thursday and another way to pinch those pennies is by making your own jam/jelly.  I make jam year round even though we live in a state where winter lasts from November to March.  I freeze berries during berry season and when I run out then I either buy frozen berries or purchase berries that are on the reduced  produce rack for $0.99/lb.  I pick them over, compost any icky ones and then crush the rest for jam.  When I freeze berries, once they are thawed, I save the extra berry juice to make jelly ( the difference between jam and jelly is that jam has fruit chunks in it and jelly does not). 


I use this extremely easy recipe and Ball glass mason jars,  Ball plastic freezer jars with screw on lids, or just plain old Rubbermaid containers to put my jam in.  This past week I purchased 2lbs of fresh strawberries on clearance and 12 oz of raspberries.  I crushed each separately and added some leftover blueberry juice that I had in the freezer to each batch of berries.  I ended up making three large jars of jam for $2.50.

Enjoy the taste of summer all year long and bask in the smiles on your family's faces when they spread homemade jam on a big ol' slice of bread.

Until next time,
Dawna

No comments:

Post a Comment